Pages

Visit ADORAMA for ALL your Photographic needs - I Do!! Just Follow this link

Sunday, 01 May 2011

A Bit on Duck Photography

Maybe not too exiting but this is what happened today (Sunday 1 May 2011) in my part of the World.

"The Early Bird Catches the Worm" that is how the saying goes.  But has anybody told YOU what bird that is because I can tell you that it is NOT a Yellow-Billed Duck in Africa :-)

As and avid "Golden Hour" photographer I headed out, just after 6 am, to the pond where I was going to take the best duck photo`s ever !!!!

On my way I got a nice sunrise.  Not too spectacular.  Not too shabby.

Arriving early I set up my Giottos tripod with the a Giottos MH7001 Ballhead strong enough to carry the E-3, ZUIKO 50mm - 200mm Pro zoom and a ZUIKO 2X converter.  Draped the lot in camouflage and settled down to wait.

And what a wait it turned out to be.  Bird photography, specially duck photography in the wild, is not for those without bag of patience :-/  As I was wearing a camo cape, made by my lovely wife, I started out standing.  Got tired of that and sat down eventually ending up horisontally on my back, listening to the Mourning Doves and a few other invisible feathered specimens.  After about 80 minutes the first yellow-billed duck made her appearance and true to the female form immediately started chatting.  I tried to get up but the movement, and maybe the absence of other ducks, was too much for her and she promptly left again.

I then decided to stand around not knowing that it would be another hour before two of the desired yellow-billed ducks eventually decided to turn up at the pond where yesterday I saw no less than 8 of them.

In the mean time I observed the wakening of dragonflies from their dewy slumber.  Quite amazing to say the least.  The seem to wake up in stages.  Then I was surrounded by a great number of them begging to be photographed.  Now you can imagine with my setup only ones that were like a little bit further away could be photographed.  Here is one that I like more than the others as it is not the "standard" view.

 

Here are a few photo`s from my happy ending "ordeal".  Must mention that they kept me busy for a while :-)







And THEN......

A nice and unsuspecting BONUS !!!!






Hope that you enjoy these.


No comments:

Post a Comment